|The Message of A Course in Miracles: A Translation of the Text in Plain Language|
Chapter 6: The Lessons of Love
1. The relationship of anger to attack is obvious to you but the relationship of fear to anger you do not always recognize. Your being angry always involves your projecting the cause of your sense of lack onto others in the world that you perceive. But you are responsible for your sense of lack brought about by your belief in separation from God and this is what you ultimately must accept. You are angry when you believe that you have been attacked by another, that attacking back to defend yourself is justified, and that you are not responsible for your perception of attack. These irrational premises lead you to the irrational conclusion that attacking back is more appropriate than extending Godís Love. The way for you to undo this conclusion is to question the premises on which it rests. In fact you can only be attacked by your own belief that you are a personal self in a hostile world, attacking others for your own belief is not justified and will not protect you, and you are responsible for what you believe.
2. You have been asked to take Jesus as a model since an extreme example is a particularly helpful lesson for you. You teach yourself all the time, no matter if your thoughts are based in Truth or in illusions. You may believe in an error but this can be corrected.
1. The Message of the Crucifixion
1. It is time to look at Jesusí crucifixion again. So far this course has emphasized that it was not a form of punishment but it does have a positive interpretation that is wholly benign if you properly understand it.
2. Jesusí crucifixion was nothing more than an extreme example, the value of which lies in the kind of teaching it facilitates. You have misunderstood it because in the guilt of your split mind you perceive fearfully. Your Christ Mind is in you always and you do not have to be crucified to become aware of It. You become aware of Christ in your mind by extending It. While Jesusí resurrection was emphasized before His crucifixion also offers you release from fear if you are willing to look at it without fear. It will help you to understand what you need to teach yourself.
3. In your identification with a personal self you react as though you are being crucified. You project the source of your pain onto others in a world instead of recognizing that it is only your own thoughts that hurt you. Your projection leads to anger, which fosters attack and promotes more fear. The real lesson of Jesusí crucifixion lies in the seeming intensity of an attack on Him by others. You must understand that attack is impossible if Jesus is to serve as a model for you.
4. Attack can only be made on a body, which isnít real. Nothing that is destructible is real and so its seeming destruction should not inspire anger in you. If you believe anger is justified then you are teaching yourself that separation from God is real. The purpose of Jesusí crucifixion was to show you that there is no reason to perceive attack in unfair treatment because you cannot be unfairly treated. When you respond with anger you are identifying with a body and you are therefore you are teaching yourself that you are an illusion.
5. The Christ Mind in Jesus is the Christ Mind in you and you can know this only by extending It in your awareness. You can choose to see yourself as unfairly treated but when you do so remember that Jesus was treated unfairly in the judgment of the personal mind but that He did not share this judgment. He offered a different interpretation of attack which you can share. If you will believe it you will teach yourself that you cannot be attacked.
6. You learn what you teach yourself. If you react as though you are being treated unfairly you are teaching yourself that the personal self and unfair treatment are reality. This is not what you want to learn if you want to remember that you are One with God. Instead, teach yourself that you are One with God and realize that God cannot be attacked. Do not defend yourself because defense means that you believe that you can be attacked. You are not asked to be crucified but to follow Jesusí example in situations that are much less trying and to not use them to justify anger. There is no justification for anger so do not teach yourself that there is. Remember, what you believe you will teach yourself and if you believe with Jesus you will teach yourself as Jesus taught Himself.
7. Your resurrection, or rebirth, is remembering that you are One with God. Jesus is a model for remembering that God is already in your mind because Jesus believed it was true for Himself. You must believe it is true for you to teach it to yourself and to extend it in your awareness. [The apostles slept during the so-called ďagony in the gardenĒ but Jesus was not angry with them because He knew He was not a personal self that could be abandoned.]
8. You are weakened as a teacher and as a student when you do not listen only to the Holy Spirit. But you cannot really betray yourself because the Holy Spirit is within you even if you deny It. [It is wise for you to follow Jesus as a model because He will save you pain.]
9. Jesus chose to demonstrate that the worst form of attack, as the personal mind judges it, was nothing. In the personal mindís perception Jesus was betrayed, abandoned, beaten, torn, and killed. This did not come from God or affect God in any way. It happened because personal minds projected guilt and fear onto Jesus even though He taught only healing.
10. You do not have to have Jesusí experiences to learn from them. The Holy Spirit is happy to use them to teach you to remember God. When you learn from them you understand how your Christ Mind is the Way, the Truth, and the Life. By your hearing only the Holy Spirit you never have to sacrifice. By listening to the Holy Spirit you can learn from the experiences of others without having the experiences directly yourself. This is because your mind is One and can choose to perceive the Holy Spirit. By extending the Holy Spirit you will learn to hear It in everything.
11. In your Christ Mind you cannot be unfairly treated because It is One. You do not have to be crucified to know that you have the Holy Spirit with you. To learn from Jesus you must share Jesusí perception of His experiences. The world that you perceive is constantly engaged in validating the separation. Jesusí one lesson was that any perception that makes the separation real cannot be justified. Jesus did this with an extreme experience because it would be a good lesson for you, who will not experience anything so extreme, to not give into perceptions of attack. God does not want you to suffer.
12. Jesusí crucifixion is the symbol of projection and His resurrection is the symbol of correction. Your mind and all of its perceptions must be corrected so that you can know your Oneness with God again.
13. This is the message of the crucifixion:
Teach only Love because that is What you are.
14. If you interpret Jesusí crucifixion in any other way you are using it for attack rather than for Peace. The Apostles misunderstood it because of their own projections and out of fear they spoke of the ďwrath of GodĒ. Their sense of guilt made them angry about Jesusí crucifixion.
15. This is an example of the upside-down thinking in the New Testament even though its gospel is really only a message of Godís Love. If the Apostles had not felt guilty in their own sense of separation from God they would never have quoted Jesus as saying, ďI come not to bring peace but a sword.Ē This was the opposite of everything Jesus taught. They also misunderstood Jesusí reactions to Judas. Jesus did not believe in betrayal and this is what His crucifixion taught. He did not call for Judas to be punished because as Christ Jesus could only extend Godís Love in His Own awareness. Jesus was teaching that guilt is not possible so He would not have called for condemnation.
16. When you read what the Apostles wrote remember that Jesus said that there was much that they would understand later. They were not wholly ready to accept Christ Consciousness for themselves yet. Do not allow any fear to enter as you are guided toward Christ because you are not asked to be a martyr but a teacher of Truth. You cannot sin and you cannot be punished for sin. The concept of punishment involves the projection of blame and reinforces the idea that blame is justified. Your behavior teaches you the beliefs that motivate it. Jesusí crucifixion was the result of the conflict the split mind between the personal and the Christ. This conflict seems just as real to you now and the lesson of Jesusí crucifixion is valuable to you now.
17. You need to learn to value God because you need to learn to value your Self. Fear makes it impossible for you to value God because when you are afraid of What you are you reject It. You therefore continue to teach yourself that rejection is real.
18. Your Power as Part of God is always present. You must extend your awareness of God in your perception to replace the world of separation to learn that rejection is meaningless. The separation is the idea of rejection of your Self and if you teach yourself this you will believe it is true. God does not reject God and you must think like God to be One with God in your awareness again.
19. Remember that the Holy Spirit is the Bridge in your mind between God and your perception of separation from God. When you listen to the Holy Spirit you will know that you can neither hurt nor be hurt. When you recognize that your perception of a world of separation only needs Godís Love you will have learned of the Holy Spirit and you will be eager to extend Godís Love in your perception instead.
2. The Alternative to Projection
1. Your mind seems to be split as it rejects God within it and this is your separation from God. God is Whole and you cannot be One with God unless your mind is also whole. This is your only way to Peace. Your belief that the separation is real leads to your belief that God is something separate from you. Once you believe in the separation projection becomes your mindís main defense of it and the means which keeps it going in your mind.
2. What you project you do not believe is part of you. You and what you project are therefore different in your mind. Since you have rejected it you have judged against it and you continue to attack it to keep it separate from you. You do this unconsciously, keeping from your awareness the fact that you have attacked and split your mind and you think this makes you safe.
3. But projection always hurts you because it reinforces your belief in your split mind and its only purpose is to keep the separation going in your mind. It is your split mindís means for making another ďrealityĒ where there is a world in which you have a personal self among other separate, different selves. The personal mind with which you identify further uses projection to evaluate its personal self as ďbetterĒ than other selves, further obscuring for you that your evaluation of them is only a projection that comes from your mind. Projection always goes with attack because projection is your means for blaming others for your discomfort and thereby justifying your attack on them. You cannot be angry unless you are projecting the source of your anger onto something else. Projection destroys your perception of yourself and what your mind perceives. It begins by you denying that God is in your mind and then leads to you making a whole world which you also deny is in your mind.
4. You have an alternative to projection: extension. Both of these abilities are in your mind. The personal mind projects and the Holy Spirit extends. Their goals are opposed and so are their results.
5. The Holy Spirit begins by perceiving you as Godís Love and knowing This is the Truth of your M
6. You can only find Joy in the joyless by realizing that you are not really there. You are One with God and God did not make a world. This cannot change and it is forever true. This is a Fact, not a belief. What is One with God is True and you are True because you are One with God. If you deny this you deny God since you cannot accept God without yourself and you cannot accept yourself without God.
7. The Oneness that the Holy Spirit perceives reflects the Oneness of God but what the personal mind perceives has no reflection in God. The Holy Spirit is your Bridge between the personal mind and God and It teaches you to remember God by teaching you to see the reflection of Godís Oneness everywhere. The personal mind will tell you that it is impossible to remember God but the Holy Spirit guides you, not the personal mind. Perception began with the separation and it will end with the separation. Your entire mind will return to God because your Mind is God.
8. God extends God and Godís Extension does not leave Godís Mind. Godís Mind is One and so is yours. The Holy Spirit enables you to see this Oneness now. You are One with God but you cannot extend God until you know only God again.
9. Your thoughts always stay in your mind. This is as true for your Thoughts of God as for your thoughts of separation. In the personal mind you perceive Ė interpret, evaluate, choose. But perception cannot escape the basic Law of Mind that your thoughts do not leave your mind, though you can deny them through projection. Though perception is not real it is in your mind and the Holy Spirit can use it. The Holy Spirit can turn your perception toward God. This seems like something that will be fulfilled far in the future only because you do not want it now.
10. The Holy Spirit does not believe in time but It uses it to correct your perception of separation from God. The Holy Spirit knows only God is Real and you can learn to know only God is Real, too. The Holy Spirit can only speak for God and It tells you to return your entire mind to God because it has never left God. All that you need to do to return to God is to correct your perception of separation from God and this is your recognition that the separation never occurred. The personal mind cannot make the separation real because the personal mind is not real.
11. The personal mind accepts the idea that your return to God is necessary because it can make this seem difficult for you. The Holy Spirit, however, knows that you have never really left God and that there is nothing difficult in being What you are. You must learn to perceive with the Holy Spirit and to see your mind and all that it perceives as One with God. There is no conflict in the Holy Spiritís Perceptions because They are fixed only on God. Only the Holy Spirit can resolve your sense of conflict because It perceives only Truth and It extends only Truth.
12. The personal mind projects to deceive you through denial. The Holy Spirit extends to perceive Oneness and there is no conflict because What the Holy Spirit perceives is All the Same. The Holy Spirit only knows the Holy Spirit and only extends the Holy Spirit and this is the Peace of God within you. The Peace of God is in your mind Forever and It must extend everywhere always for you to be aware of It.
13. The Holy Spirit is your Whole Mind and only by extending the Holy Spirit to be all that you perceive can you recognize It. The personal mind projects legions of diverse personal selves and it teaches you that they are real. But the Holy Spirit is One and It teaches you to extend only the Holy Spirit. Your part is to undo your belief in separation from God and to align your mind with the Holy Spirit, Which can replace the world in your mind and fill your entire mind with Godís Oneness.
3. The Relinquishment of Attack
1. Every idea that you have begins in your mind and extends from there and you know yourself by what you extend. The Holy Spirit holds God in your mind and It perceives only what is in accord with God. It does not attack anything so that God can extend without limit. God is never threatened and your Mind in God can never be harmed. The personal mind is not a part of your Mind in God but you can teach yourself through the personal mind what is not true. You have taught yourself to believe that you are something other than God and by continuing to teach this you strengthen this belief in your mind. What you teach you learn.
2. So to be of conflict you must teach yourself by the Holy Spirit and therefore learn only from the Holy Spirit. You are only Love but in denial you make yourself Something that you have to learn to remember. ďTeach only Love because that is What you areĒ is the message of Jesusí crucifixion and the One Perfect Lesson that you must learn by teaching It to yourself. You will believe that you are what you project through the personal mind or What you extend through the Holy Spirit.
3. Your sense of safety lies in extending the Holy Spirit because as you perceive the Holy Spiritís Gentleness your mind learns that it is Gentle. When you extend only the Holy Spirit you will have no more thought of safety because you will be aware you are One with God. In God you can only bless because you are Blessed. Your sense of safety will come from your giving up your identification with a personal self, which is an attack on the Truth in you. Teach yourself attack in any form and you will learn that attack is real and you will be afraid. But attack is a lesson that does not come from God and so you can unlearn it by not teaching it to yourself.
4. Your salvation comes from teaching yourself the exact opposite of everything that the personal mind teaches. You will learn the Truth by extending It to be all that you perceive. The only way to have Peace is to teach It and by teaching It you will learn that you have It. This is the only way for you to remember God. Any idea that you extend you must already have in your mind and it is strengthened in your mind through the conviction of your teaching. Teach only Love to learn that you have Love and that you are Love.
4. The Only Answer
1. The Holy Spirit is the Answer to your question, ďWhat am I?Ē The personal mind always speaks first but it does not mean you well because it knows that you can withdraw your support from it at any moment. If the personal mind meant you well it would be glad that you donít need it, just as the Holy Spirit will be glad when you fully remember God and no longer need the Holy Spiritís Guidance. But the personal mind does not think it is part of you, its maker. This is its primary mistake and the foundation of its whole thought system.
2. You are One with God and this is why attack is impossible in God. God is Love but you made the personal mind without Love. You believe that you are separate from and outside of God, and the personal mind speaks for this belief. It does not love you. The first question ever asked by your split mind, ďWhat am I?Ē can never be correctly answered by the personal mind. You live in doubt in your identification with a personal self and though the personal mind raises many questions it cannot truly answer any of them. The busy-ness of the personal mind obscures your primary question because you have the Answer within you and the personal mind is afraid of you.
3. You will understand your conflict when you understand that the personal mind can never be sure of anything because it isnít real. The Holy Spirit may not speak first but It always answers. You have called on It at one time or another in one way or another and you have been answered. Since the Holy Spirit comes from the Truth in you, you have the Answer to your primary question within you now.
4. The personal mind cannot hear the Holy Spirit but it does believe that part of its maker is against it. So it feels justified in attacking you. It believes the best defense is attack and it wants you to believe this too. When you do you are identifying with it. You can identify with a personal self but you cannot be one with it. Because it perceives something against it in you the personal mind then turns to the body as its ally because the body is not part of you. The personal self/body alliance is based on your perceived separation from God. When you identify with a personal self/ body you will be afraid because you are siding with separation.
5. The personal self uses the body to attack your mind because it realizes that you can end it and the body merely by recognizing that they are not real. It tries to persuade you that the body is more real than the mind and that the mind serves the personal self. In your Christ Mind you cannot believe this.
6. This is the one answer of the Holy Spirit to every question that your split mind raises: Only God is Real and you are One with God. You have chosen to deny this and to perceive a world of pain instead. But this is not real and God calls to you to remember your Oneness with God. There will be nothing of a world left in your mind when you wholly remember God. The personal mindís ideas confuse you because you do not realize that they are not real. When you remember God only God will be Real to you because only God is the Truth.
7. In God What you are is Perfectly Certain. The question ďWhat am I?Ē does not exist because it is Eternally answered. In Godís Being is Everything. There are no questions in God as there are in the world that you perceive. You have Godís Certainty within you but the part of your mind that you have given to separation now only has the ability for Certainty.
8. In your split mind abilities, which are only potentials, replaced what is and left you uncertain. In God you donít need any abilities because you are Perfect. Perfect abilities are meaningless because their potential has been met. Impossibly, in your mind it now seems that the Perfect must be perfected. But your belief in the impossible makes it seem possible.
9. God did not make abilities but the kindest solution for the abilities that you have made is for them to be developed in a way that can get you out of your perception of separation from God. The Holy Spirit will help you to develop your abilities this way but you are in charge of whether or not you accept this guidance. You are always in charge of remembering God, with the Holy Spirit as your Guide, and with Jesus as your model. You therefore remain empowered, which demonstrates that you are not powerless.
10. You are only in an impossible situation because you believe that it is possible to be in an impossible situation. If God shows you your Perfection before you are willing to see It God would be proving that you are wrong. This would teach you that you are not Perfect but lacking and unable to bring yourself to awareness of your Perfection. This is how the personal mind thinks of you but God knows you are already Perfect. It is impossible for God to insult you because you are One with God. Because this is Unchangeable the personal mindís belief that it has insulted God is also impossible.
11. The Holy Spirit will never command you because the Holy Spirit knows it is you. The extension of Oneness is the Law of Godís Mind and the Holy Spirit is faithful to this Law. You can be faithful to other laws, not because they are true but because you made them. God cannot lose Its Own Certainty of you and God would gain nothing by proving to you that your thinking is a mistake. You learn what you teach and if God teaches you that you have sinned then God is teaching God that God has sinned. If God confronts you with the Truth while you still believe God is Something separate how could you not be afraid that God will punish you? Forcing you to look at your mistake before you are willing to do so would reinforce the separation in your mind, rather than help you find God in your Mind.
12. God doesnít teach because God does not perceive lack. God is Whole and has nothing to learn. Teachingís goal is change and God is Changeless. You did not lose your Perfection in the seeming separation only your awareness of It. Instead you became aware of the harsh voice of the personal mind. It can never shatter the Peace of God but it did shatter your awareness of Peace. God does not attack the personal mind but being questioned God gave an Answer. The Answer is your Teacher, the Holy Spirit.
5. The Lessons of the Holy Spirit
1. The Holy Spirit knows more than you know in your identification with a personal self but It is teaching you to be One with It. In the personal mind you believe that you are not Perfect and you teach yourself incorrectly. God only knows your Mind as Whole and It cannot teach you that your mind is split. What God does know is that Its full extension is blocked. God is still Complete but you do not know this and God wants you to know it again.
2. The Holy Spirit is a Kind Voice that will not frighten you but It will remind you that fear is not real and that God is. The Holy Spirit will not show you that the world that you believe in is not real but It will remind you that you are with God now. Then the Holy Spirit can train your mind to know the difference between God and the world that you perceive so that you learn that the world is not real. Then when you are frightened by your belief in a world you will know to turn to God to undo your fear.
3. The Holy Spirit teaches through approach rather than through avoidance. It teaches you what you need to learn to have Joy not what you need to learn to avoid pain. It is simpler to say, ďDo only that!Ē because it is clear, easy to understand, and easy to remember.
4. You believe that a world is reality and this is frightening to you. The Holy Spirit will always answer you in a form that is meaningful to you where you believe that you are so as to gain your trust. But the Holy Spirit does not judge your life in the world that you perceive because It knows it is not real. Knowing this is how It undoes fear. The world is only in your mind and it will not last and the Holy Spirit, Which comes from God, speaks only for What lasts Forever.
a. To Have, Give All to All
1. When you have let go of the body, the personal self, and the world you will know that you are Eternal. You may think this is accomplished through death but nothing is accomplished through death because death is nothing. Life is of the Mind of God and in the Mind of God. The body does not contain you who are Life and it neither lives nor dies. Jesus overcame the idea of death through His recognition of the Christ Mind in Himself and you can overcome death by recognizing the Christ Mind in you. Death is an attempt by your split mind to undo its conflict by not deciding to be Whole again and this will not work.
2. God did not make the body, which is destructible and therefore not Eternal. The body is a separation device, a symbol of the personal self, and therefore it does not exist. But the Holy Spirit always takes what you have made and uses it as a learning device. It reinterprets what the personal mind uses as proof of separation into a demonstration that separation is not real. Your mind can heal the body but the body cannot heal your mind so the body must exist as an idea in your mind. You can demonstrate this when you extend Godís Love.
3. The Holy Spirit motivates you to extend Godís Love. It will always teach you that only your mind is Real because only your mind can be everywhere. But the body is a separate specific thing so it cannot be part of you. It is meaningful to be One Mind but there is no such thing as one body so by the Law of Mind the body is meaningless.
4. From the Holy Spiritís perspective Godís Love can be extended everywhere always but you may not believe this yet so you cannot use it. This idea is important because it is the foundation of the thought system you need to teach yourself through the Holy Spirit. You cannot extend Godís Love without believing this because believing it is the belief in One Mind. Only Total Love can be offered to your Complete Mind. If you understand this then limiting Love is meaningless to you.
5. The Holy Spirit leads you to God by translating your perception of Oneness in your experience of a world to actual Oneness with God. The personal mind uses the body for attack, for pleasure, and for pride and this perception is fearful to you because it makes the separation real to you. The Holy Spirit recognizes that you think that you are a body and so It uses it to teach you to extend Godís Love in your awareness. Love can be extended but fear cannot be extended. Your fear comes from and promotes attack, which leads to separation not Oneness. The personal mind, which is fear, may sometimes join with other selves but always for what each one can get separately, not for Oneness. The Holy Spirit extends only What can be extended everywhere to keep It in your awareness. The Holy Spiritís teaching begins with:
Give what you want everywhere to keep it in your awareness.
6. Turning in this direction is your very first step in correcting your perception of separation from God and the only part that you need to do without the Holy Spirit. Making this choice is exercising your free will and it demonstrates that you are in charge of your correction. You are still very identified with the personal self or you would not have had to make this choice. So the personal mind will be threatened and this may lead to you experiencing increased feelings of conflict. You may remain at this stage of acute conflict for a long time. You may even try to accept the conflict rather than continue on to its resolution. But now that you have made this choice the Holy Spirit has come to help you. In fact, you cannot go on without the Holy Spirit because your choice was the choice for the Holy Spirit.
b. To Have Peace, Teach Peace to Learn It
1. When you believe in separation from God you fear abandonment and retaliation because you believe rejection and attack are real. You will perceive rejection and attack around you and you will teach yourself to reject and to attack. These are the results of denial and projection. You teach yourself what you believe you are and it is apparent that you can teach yourself wrongly. You may believe your Christ Mind is attacking you because when you do not share the personal mindís thought system you weaken it and it perceives this as attack. You will identify with the thought system that you accept because it teaches you what you believe you are. If the thought system comes from Truth only Truth extends from It. But if the thought system is a lie only deception proceeds from it.
2. The Holy Spirit knows that the only real change is a change of mind but that is not where the Holy Spirit begins with you. You must be motivated to change and strengthening your desire to change is the Holy Spiritís only goal. When you are motivated to change then your change is guaranteed. Your desire for change is the change of mind that brings about real change.
3. The first step in undoing your perception of separation from God is undoing your concept that you need to ďgetĒ things from outside of you to be whole. Remember God is One extending Everywhere Always so having is the same as being. So the Holy Spiritís first lesson was, ďGive what you want everywhere to keep it in your awareness.Ē But when the world that you perceive is very real to you this increases your conflict because giving is equated with giving away not with keeping. So the first lesson seems to be a contradiction in your conflicted mind. Because your mind is conflicted its motivation is conflicted so you cannot learn consistently yet. Your projection of this internal conflict leads to your perception of a world you do not trus, and where you do not give for fear of loss. This is why the first step is the hardest for you. Still very identified with the personal self and responding to the world that you perceive as though it is reality you feel that you are being asked to deny reality.
4. To the personal mind the first step does not make any sense. It must see it this way because the only other alternative is to see that it does not make sense. But it is the personal mind that does not make sense and real change can only come when you change your mind. For a while you will be in conflict as you accept both the lessons of the personal mind and the Holy Spirit but as the Holy Spiritís Voice becomes clearer you will feel compelled to listen.
5. The way out of conflict for you when you have accepted two opposing thought systems is to choose one and to let go of the other. You identify with the thought system that you choose and if you identify with two thought systems which are diametrically opposed you can not be at Peace. You will teach and learn conflict as long as you believe that both the personal mind and the Holy Spirit are real. But you do want Peace because you have called for It and Godís Voice has answered. What the Holy Spirit teaches makes sense; conflict does not make sense.
6. There is really no conflict between the Holy Spirit and the personal mind because only one is real. The personal mind will try to tell you that it is up to you to decide what is real but the Holy Spirit will teach you that only God is Real. Reality is not your decision. As you listen to the Holy Spirit and experience Its quiet Power you will realize that you have been trying to undo your own Reality. That is why you must remember to allow the Holy Spirit to decide for God for you.
7. You are not asked to make senseless decisions but you can think this is what you are being asked to do. But you must recognize it makes no sense for you to decide what Reality is. The Holy Spirit perceives your conflict and Its second lesson is:
To have Peace teach Peace to learn Peace.
8. This is still only an early step for you because you still donít recognize having and being are the same. But it is more advanced than the first step, which only began your change of mind, because it is an affirmation of your desire to get out of conflict. However, as long as you see Peace as only more desirable rather than as the only thing that you want it means that you still value the separation. You are not ready to make the ultimate decision yet but this step is essential for it. You have not accepted that only God is Real and so your wanting only God seems difficult for you. Yet you are One with God and it is not difficult to want What you are.
9. This second step is a huge step for you toward the perception of Oneness that reflects God. As you go in this direction you are going toward the center of your mind where real change will occur. Your progress will be intermittent but the second step is easier than the first because it follows naturally from it. Your realization that you really want Peace is the growing awareness that the Holy Spirit teaches you.
c. Be Vigilant for God and His Kingdom
1. The Holy Spirit sorts out what is True from what is false in your split mind by teaching you to judge everything in it according to God. The Holy Spirit keeps what is in accord with God, corrects what is partly in accord with God, and lets go of what is totally out of accord with God. This is how the Holy Spirit teaches you to remember Oneness. Remember, though, that what the Holy Spirit rejects the personal mind believes is real. The Holy Spirit and the personal mind are in fundamental disagreement about everything because they are in fundamental disagreement about what you are. The personal mindís beliefs about you vary, and this is why it fosters different moods in you.. But the Holy Spirit knows you with Certainty, and only engenders Joy in you. It rejects what cannot foster Joy and so only the Holy Spirit can keep you wholly Joyous.
2. The Holy Spirit does not teach you to judge others because It does not want you to teach yourself that your projections of separation are real. The Holy Spirit would not be consistent if It taught you to strengthen what you must let go of. In your mind, however, the Holy Spirit does use judgment but only to remind you of Oneness, Which you can then perceive without judgment. This allows you to teach yourself to be without judgment. This undoing is necessary so you will extend Godís Love rather than project separation. The Holy Spiritís third lesson is:
Extend only Godís Love in your awareness.
3. This is a step toward real change. It still acknowledges separation because it implies you can be aware of something else. But it has advanced far from the first lesson, which simply taught you how to change your mind, and from the second, which helped you identify Peace as more desirable than conflict. This step emphasizes the difference between Peace and conflict so that your ultimate choice is inevitable.
4. While the first step engenders conflict in you and the second step still entails some conflict this is the step in which you learn to consistently turn away from conflict. You can choose to let go of the personal mind as much as you can choose to listen to it. This lesson teaches you that you must choose to let go of the personal mind. It does not concern itself with the many forms the personal mindís resistance may take; instead it shows you where you should put your efforts. This lesson does not deny that the personal mind may tempt you but it does tell you what to do without exception. Your consistency is called on despite the chaos of the personal mind. Chaos and consistency cannot coexist and as long as you must make an effort of awareness you will believe you still have two realities to choose from. But by teaching you What to choose the Holy Spiritís third lesson will ultimately teach you that there is no choice at all because only God is Real. This will free your mind to return to God.
5. Choosing through the Holy Spirit will lead you back to God. You are One with God but you must learn to remember this. The third step inherently helps you remember What you are because it contains the other two steps and goes beyond them to Oneness. If you have in your mind only What God put there you are acknowledging that you are One with God. You are accepting your mind as it is and since it is Whole you are teaching Peace because you believe It is Real. In this third step the Holy Spirit prepares you to return to Godís Being.
6. First you learn that knowing you have rests on giving, not on getting. Then you learn that you want Peace and that you must teach yourself Peace if you want to learn It. Peace is of God and you must identify with Peace to remember God. You have believed you are separate from God and have therefore excluded yourself from God. So you must teach yourself that you are One with God and exclude from your mind your belief that you are something else.
7. The third step protects your awareness of God from your illusion of separation so that you will identify with God again. Godís Love is an Experience, not a belief. The Holy Spirit speaks for This Experience, Which ultimately leads you to Godís Being. As long as God is only a belief for you, you will have questions and doubts fostered by the personal mind. So you must go beyond belief to experiencing Godís Love by extending only Godís Love in your awareness. You cannot experience God until you give your entire mind to God.
8. To extend Godís Love without exception means that you perceive your mindís Wholeness, or Oneness. You must keep this Oneness in your awareness and not let any belief in separation teach you that your mind is not Whole. Godís Wholeness does not depend on your perception but your awareness of your Wholeness does. God cannot be changed and only your awareness needs to be corrected. You cannot remember God while you are confused about what you are. This is why you must make an effort to be aware only of God. It is within you to know only God as God Knows only you.
9. God is Truth; everything else is illusion. When you reject God it is as though you are without God and when you make another reality to replace God your mind is no longer One. Your mind contains a perception of a world in which you seem to exist in separation from God and from the world that you perceive. This world that you have made seems to imprison your will and your belief in its reality means your mind needs to be healed. The way to heal your mind is to extend Godís Love to replace the world of separation in your mind. When your mind is healed you will teach yourself only Wholeness. This makes you a teacher as Jesus was a teacher. Jesus had to make an effort to be aware only of Godís Love just as you do.
10. The third step is a statement of what you want and demonstrates your willingness to let go of everything else. If you follow the Holy Spirit you will take this step. Your effort to be aware only of God is the signal that you want to follow the Holy Spirit. Your effort is required only until you realize that being aware of God is natural to you and does not require effort. You have put a lot of effort into maintaining the personal self and the world because they are not true. Now you need to turn your effort against them. Only this effort will end all effort for you as you return to Godís Being, Which is both what you are and what you have. There is no effort for you to make in God because you donít have to make God Truth and you donít have to protect God. In God All is One and Limitless.
|Copyright 2009 Elizabeth A. Cronkhite|