|The Message of A Course in Miracles: A Translation of the Text in Plain Language|
Chapter 5: Healing and Wholeness
1. Your healing results in you experiencing True Joy. If you are unhappy you have refused healing. Joy is naturally extended from your Whole M
2. Fear and Love cannot both be real. You cannot be wholly fearful and still be alive so the only Whole and Real State of Being is Love. Love and Joy and Wholeness are the same. To heal is to make yourself aware of your Wholeness again and so for you to be wholly Joyous. Every time you extend Godís Love in your awareness you return to your Whole Mind.
3. Every Loving thought Blesses you and heals your mind. Be thankful for the opportunities to heal by extending Godís Love that the world that you perceive offers to you. You are worthy of Godís Joy because you are the Extension of Godís Joy. You can extend Godís Love because you are One with God. This is your healing prayer:
Let me extend Godís Love to know my Self.
1. The Invitation to the Holy Spirit
1. Your healing overlooks your perception of a world of separation and looks on Godís Oneness instead. Then your Whole Mind rejoices and extends without limit. Only your healed mind can Eternally experience God. This is your Joy and you cannot have Joy until you choose to be Joy because in God having and being are the same. To the Holy Spirit getting is meaningless and giving is everything because by giving the Holy Spirit extends Its awareness of What It is. This is how God creates. This is the opposite of how the personal mind thinks because when you give a thing away you do lose it. But even the personal mind is aware that when you share an idea you do not lose it. In fact you strengthen it in your mind, particularly the more you extend it. If you can accept that the world is only an idea then the personal mindís association with giving and losing is gone.
2. Your process of remembering God starts with these simple concepts:
Ideas increase in your mind when you extend them.
The more you extend them the stronger they become in your mind.
Everything is an idea.
To extend, then, is to increase in your awareness.
3. With these concepts in your mind you can invite the Holy Spirit into your awareness. The Holy Spirit can only come into your awareness at your own invitation. The Holy Spirit is your Christ Mind and It was the Mind in Jesus.
4. The Holy Spirit is known by other names: Healer, Comforter, Guide, Universal Inspiration, Teacher, Correction, Voice for God. The Holy Spirit is as high in your awareness of God that you can go in your perception that you are in a world. God is Everywhere and you can block your awareness of God but you cannot lose God.
5. The Holy Spirit is your Christ Mind, Which is aware of God. It is the part of your mind that has not left God. In your perception of yourself as separate from God the Holy Spirit is the name given to the Part of your mind that is the Correction for this perception. It is the Part of your mind that calls you back to being aware of your Oneness with God. When your mind is Whole again in your awareness you will no longer hear a Call but the Holy Spirit is Eternally Part of your Whole Mind.
6. God cannot change your perception of separation because you have Free Will. But God is still in your mind as the Holy Spirit and you are free to choose the Perceptions of the Holy Spirit, Which almost reach God. When you wholly identify with the Holy Spirit you will be so aware of your Oneness with God that you will easily return to God.
7. The Holy Spiritís Perception contains elements that are similar to God:
First, the Holy Spirit is aware of only the Holy Spirit and It extends Itself to keep Itself in Its awareness.
Second, It does not try to make a reality apart from God and therefore It does not obstruct your awareness of God.
Third, It points beyond the healing It brings to your mind to your Oneness with God. When you are fully aware of the Holy Spirit enough of your mind will be in line with God to shift easily into God.
2. The Voice for God
1. Your healing is not the same as your Oneness with God, but it is correction of your perception that you are separate from God. The Holy Spiritís Perception heals you by looking past your perception of a world to your Oneness with God. Like your experience of the miracle, the Holy Spiritís Perception undoes the time that you need to remember that you are One with God. The Holy Spirit is your decision to heal your mind now by letting go of separation from God. Time does not undo your Oneness with God and the Holy Spirit and your experience of the miracle reflect your Oneness with God.
2. The Holy Spirit is your Joy. It calls you to return to God and answering Its Call is your mindís only real purpose. The Holy Spirit is both the Correction and the Means by Which you correct your sense of separation from God.
3. The Holy Spirit has not left your split mind. When you listen to the Holy Spirit the personal mind disappears for you. You choose to hear either the Holy Spirit or the personal mind. The personal mind is not of God but the Holy Spirit is the Voice for God. With great effort and willingness you can learn to hear only the Holy Spirit. This is what Jesus ultimately learned and He is an example for you to follow.
4. You are One with God but you have let the idea of separation from God become real to you so you need the Holy Spirit to guide you back to God. Through the Holy Spirit separation falls away from your mind and you become aware again that you are One with God.
5. God is your Wholeness. But in your perception of separation from God you are not aware that you are Whole and you need guidance to make the choices that will help you to remember God again. Your choosing the Holy Spirit is your choosing God. Your perception of separation blocks the full extension of Godís Wholeness Everywhere Always and the Holy Spirit is the Voice for God within you that restores Wholeness to your awareness.
6. The Holy Spirit teaches you to remember God and to forget the separation. In God all is One and there are no choices. But the separation is your belief that opposites are possible and so you must make choices in your perception of separation. Choosing is how you exercise your mindís power in your perception that you are living a ďlifeĒ in a world. The Holy Spirit is one choice; the personal mind the other. You may have chosen to leave God to believe that you are a personal self but through the Holy Spirit God has not left you.
7. The Voice of the Holy Spirit does not command, demand, or attack; It quietly reminds you of God and It is compelling because It reminds you of God. It shows your mind the way to Peace even in the midst of the turmoil you make. Peace is stronger than conflict because It heals. Conflict divides and does not increase and so there is no gain in it. When you listen to the voice of the personal mind you lose sight of God though you cannot lose God. God is lost to your awareness until you choose God again.
8. The Holy Spirit is your Guide for making choices in the world that you perceive that will lead you back to full awareness of God again. Both the world and God are in your mind and the Holy Spirit is the Way in which Godís Will is expressed in your perception of a world. The Holy Spirit comes from your Oneness with God but you want to follow another guide now. You must choose which guide you will follow. Which you follow is your judgment because it is a decision based on which one offers what you value more.
9. The Holy Spirit in Jesus is the same Holy Spirit in you. It was Jesusí decision to follow only the Holy Spirit that gave Him all His power. He is a model for you and He can help you to make the same decision because He is One with you through the Holy Spirit. He showed that returning to God is a decision and that you can make this decision.
10. Jesus let the Christ Mind change Him and you can let It change you. The Christ Mind in you hears only Godís Voice and speaks with only Godís Voice. The world is an idea that tires you and the Holy Spirit is the Idea that brings you Rest. Your Joy is in answering the Holy Spiritís Call to you. You will be One with God again when you have let go of separation. It is your mindís only purpose to be restored to Wholeness again. Listen only to the Holy Spirit and extend only Godís Love to replace your perception of separation.
11. When you are tempted to listen to the personal mind turn to the Holy Spirit to remember God. The more you extend Godís Love the more you will want to extend Godís Love and be restored to an awareness of your Oneness with God.
12. To behave like Jesus is to respond from only the Holy Spirit within you. This is how Jesus is a model for you. God is beyond belief but returning to God is not beyond what you can accomplish. In God you have no limits. This is the message that you will extend from the Holy Spirit within you.
3. The Guide to Salvation
1. The way for you to look on others in a way that heals your mind is to look on the Holy Spirit instead of the personal self. Your Perception of the Holy Spirit is your Bridge to God. It is corrected perception. The Holy Spirit is from God and is in your mind.
2. The Holy Spirit is the Idea of healing and It grows and is strengthened in you as you extend It. It calls you to God and is the Idea of God. Since you are One with God the Holy Spirit is you. As you see the Holy Spirit in place of personal selves you increase your awareness of the Holy Spirit. Others do not have to be aware of the Holy Spirit for you to experience this miracle. Your mind is healed as you replace your perception of separation with your awareness of the Holy Spirit.
3. What you perceive and how you perceive are both in your mind. There are two opposed ways of looking at others, also both in your mind. See separate personal selves as reality and you will believe that you are a separate personal self apart from God. See the Holy Spirit in place of personal selves and you recognize the Holy Spirit in yourself. What you acknowledge as Truth you strengthen in yourself.
4. The Voice of the Holy Spirit is weak in you and this is why you must extend It. It must be strengthened in your awareness before you can hear It. The Holy Spirit is not weak but your willingness to hear It is. If you look for the Holy Spirit in the personal mind that you identify with without extending the Holy Spirit in your mindís perception you make the mistake of perceiving a limited personal self as you. This will frighten you because you will be looking for What frightens the personal mind with the personal mind that you think you are.
5. [Time is a concept of your split mind and delay is a device of the personal mind. Both are meaningless to God.] The Holy Spirit is the opposite of the personal mind and Its Perceptions are the opposite of the personal mindís perceptions. The Holy Spiritís Purpose is to undo everything that your split mind has made. It undoes them where they are - at the level of the personal mind - so that you can understand the change.
6. [The Holy Spirit and the personal mind are not understandable to each other. Being Part of God the Holy Spirit understands Eternity, Which is timelessness. The personal mind believes in time, which it does not question. Now is the only aspect of time that is Eternal.]
7. Using the personal mindís own language the Holy Spirit mediates between the personal mindís beliefs and Truth. It looks beyond what your split mind has made and looks toward God. It does not destroy but reinterprets what your split mind makes. The Holy Spiritís Purpose is therefore to reinterpret you on behalf of God.
8. You cannot understand yourself as a separate personal mind because your mind is not limited to a personal self. Your Mind is One with God and It extends Everywhere. It is of This that the Holy Spirit reminds you because This is What the Holy Spirit sees. Your awareness of the Holy Spirit extending everywhere is Peaceful and this threatens the personal mind. Peace threatens the personal mind because it was born in and depends on your internal conflict to continue. The personal mind is strengthened in your internal conflict and when you believe in conflict you attack because you feel threatened. The idea of conflict calls on the personal mind just as Peace calls on the Holy Spirit. You will always experience conflict in time just as you can only experience Peace in Eternity.
9. Your perceptions derive meaning for you from your identification with either the personal mind or the Holy Spirit. Which identification you accept is the foundation for your beliefs. Your perception of separation from God is another way of saying that you believe that your mind is split and conflicted. The personal mind is a symbol of this conflict just as the Holy Spirit is a Symbol of your Wholeness and Peace so how you perceive others is determined by what you want to strengthen in yourself. Through the personal mind you may perceive separation but the Holy Spirit can reinterpret your perceptions.
10. The Holy Spirit is your Perfect Teacher because It uses the perception that you made to teach you to use it differently. You cannot be wholly resistant to the Holy Spirit because your mind is still One with God. The personal mind may deny this but the Part of your mind that is Part of God is stronger than the personal mind. This is Where the Holy Spirit resides within you in Peace. As Part of God you can only be at Home in Peace and Eternity.
11. The personal mind perceives the world as a place of separation from God but the Holy Spirit can use your perception of a world as a means to remind you of God. Because your mind is split the Holy Spirit must teach you through opposites. The Holy Spirit perceives time and uses it to remind you of Eternity. Accept correction from the Holy Spirit and learn what correction can teach you. Look and think with the Holy Spirit to remember God. The Holy Spirit is Part of God and Part of you. It is your Guide through time and out of time. The Holy Spirit remembers God for you and asks only that you extend your awareness of It to increase your Joy.
4. Teaching and Healing
1. You may hide the Holy Spirit in fear but It is still Part of you. Correcting your perception of separation from God is the way out of fear. The Holy Spirit will help you to reinterpret everything that you perceive as fearful as untrue and It will teach you that only What comes from Love is True. You cannot destroy Truth but you must accept It because It is a Part of God and you. Nothing Loving is lost to you because It comes from the Holy Spirit, the Voice for Oneness within you. What is not Loving cannot be saved for you because it is not real. Correcting your perception of separation from God secures God in your mind and when your entire mind is healed of its perception of separation it will be entirely safe from the personal mindís fearful perceptions. When you hear only the Holy Spirit the personal mind is undone.
2. The personal mind is weak because it is limited awareness. It does not really exist; it was never born and it will not die. Your Real Mind continues into and beyond your perception of physical birth. Your Real Mind is. Your mind will expand as you return to the Holy Spirit the part of your mind that you gave to the perception of separation from God. The Holy Spirit is here to show you how to free your mind of its limited awareness. You cannot undo your perception of separation without the Holy Spirit because the Holy Spirit is the Correction of your perception of separation. Extending the Holy Spirit in place of the world of separation in your mind is how you learn to perceive only the Holy Spirit. Your entire mind is One with God and you cannot be limited to a personal self.
3. Every Loving Thought that you have is part of your Whole Mind because Love is What your Whole Mind is. As Part of God you create with God by extending Godís Love Everywhere Always. Your belief in the personal self can keep you from awareness of God but in God this has no meaning. The Holy Spiritís awareness of your Oneness with God is always in your mind, extending everywhere always. The personal mindís thoughts cannot be extended because its thoughts occur on many levels that can conflict and can even oppose each other on the same level. Opposing thoughts cannot be extended because they are not One. Since you are One with God you can extend only Godís Loving Thoughts and this is Heaven. When you decide that you want to be without limitation the Holy Spirit will ďpurifyĒ the part of your mind that you have given over to the perception of separation by reinterpreting its thoughts as unreal. Your decision to give it to the Holy Spirit is its purification.
4. Jesus heard only the Holy Spirit because He understood that the Holy Spirit is the correction of separation from God. Your choosing to hear only the Holy Spirit implies your willingness to extend God in your awareness. The Christ Mind in you is compelled to extend Itself in place of your perception of a world because It is Whole. In Truth you cannot be hurt and when you demonstrate that you can be hurt by blaming others for your pain you are hurting yourself. ďTurning the other cheekĒ means recognizing that nothing outside of your own thinking can hurt you.
5. You teach yourself by living what you believe. You can use teaching to heal by extending Loving Thoughts in the recognition that this strengthens Them in your mind. What you teach reinforces what you believe and when you extend your Christ Mind in place of your perception of a world of separation you return to Joy.
6. The Holy Spirit corrects your perception of separation from God by undoing the personal mind. By following the Holy Spirit you return to God and you can only do this completely by giving up all belief in the personal mindís perceptions and giving your entire mind to the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spiritís correction is not complete until you experience only the Holy Spirit. You will learn what you teach yourself. The Holy Spirit is always with you because the Holy Spirit is One with God. You reject God when you believe any of the personal mindís perceptions are real. You must learn that your entire mind belongs to God.
7. The correction of your perception of separation from God gives you the power of a healed mind but this is not the Power of God. When you have accepted that you need correction you must devote yourself to forgiving, or letting go of, all of your perceptions of separation in order to heal your entire mind. As long as you hold back any part of your mind for the personal self the full Power of Godís Oneness is limited in your awareness. Only your complete mind can be One with God because God is Whole. Only the Thoughts that you think with the Holy Spirit are not lacking.
8. In your Wholeness you cannot suffer. The Holy Spirit within you has saved all of your Loving Thoughts and It purifies them of any limitations that keep them from extending everywhere always. Peace is with you because you are One with God. Extend Godís Love so that you will always remember It. You are pure enough to hold Godís Love and strong enough to extend Godís Love. With the Holy Spirit to guide you, you have the Wisdom of God, Which is your Being. Godís Loving Thoughts are always with you.
5. The Egoís Use of Guilt
1. The personal mindís use of guilt needs to be clarified. The personal mind has a purpose just as the Holy Spirit has a Purpose. The personal mindís purpose is fear because fear and separation from God go together. The personal mind uses logic just as the Holy Spirit does and you choose which you will follow. Both are in you.
2. There is no guilt in God and you return to awareness of your Oneness with God through correction, not through punishment. The part of your mind that you have given over to the perception of separation will be restored to Oneness when you have undone this perception and this will give rise to Joy and Peace in you. Guilt causes fear, not Peace, in you. Not only does your guilt not come from God, it is a symbol that your attack on God is real. This means nothing to God but everything to the personal mind. All of your guilt stems from your belief that you have attacked God by successfully separating from God.
3. The personal mind is your belief that you attacked God and detached part of God. The personal mind teaches that you, being it, stole Godís Power. When you identify with the personal mind you unconsciously believe this, you feel guilty for it, and you fear punishment from God, Which you see as outside of you now that you are separate from It. This is the insane and delusional thinking of the personal mind.
4. Your belief in the personal mind makes it ďrealityĒ for you. In your Oneness with God your Mind extends only God. This is the same ability that can make your illusions seem like reality to you. But for you to think with God and like God is for you to experience only Joy. Guilt is not natural to you because it is the belief that your separation from God is reality. The personal mind perceives the separation as a real attack - a sin - not as merely a misperception that leads to a sense of lack. It must do this for its survival because if you understand this lack as only a misperception you will successfully take steps to undo it. This is ďdeathĒ to the personal mind but freedom for you.
5. Your guilt is the cause of all of your suffering. Illness is your attack on the body, which you identify with in the personal mind, in an attempt to lessen Godís punishment of you for separating from God. It is a form of magical solution for guilt. This is the personal mindís arrogance because it first projects a punishing intent on to God and then takes this intent as its own right. The personal mind tries to take all of the power it attributes to God because it recognizes that it can only trust you if you totally believe only in it.
6. You cannot go against God, even in your identification with a personal self, but you can seem to make a different reality. Every moment you are making a decision about what you want and the decisionís effects will automatically follow. You only have two choices: the Holy Spirit or the personal mind. You cannot undo the Holy Spirit because It is One with God but you can undo the personal mind because you made it. What is One with God cannot be changed or undone but what you have made can be changed and undone because it is not real. You really cannot think apart from God, though you can seem to, and you can believe in what you think.
7. Your Mind is One with God. Your guilt is an indication that you do not know this, that you believe that you can make a mind apart from God, and that you want to. Every thought that you have with the personal mind comes from guilt and is attended by guilt. You cannot escape guilt when you identify with the personal mind that you believe you must follow. You will feel guilty for the separation because you will feel responsible for it. By taking responsibility for the separation you imply that it is real. If the separation were real you would be responsible for it. But your only real responsibility is to accept correction of your perception of separation from God. By accepting correction instead the symptoms of your guilt will disappear.
8. As long as you continue to perceive yourself as separated from God you will feel guilty. This will affect your behavior and your experience because what you want you expect. Your mind does make your ďlifeĒ in the world that you perceive but if you want you can accept correction of your perception of separation from God instead. The moment that you fully accept correction you will return to God. When you give up the personal mind your Oneness with God will become apparent to you.
6. Time and Eternity
1. God is not waiting for you because God does not live in time. But the extension of Godís Love is blocked while you wait to return to God. Your Christ Mind is waiting for the return of the part of It that you have given to perceive separation from God just as the part that you gave away is waiting to be whole again. Delay does not matter to God but it is painful for you. You choose to be in time and therefore you believe that is where you are. But you do not belong in time and you do have a choice. Your Place is in Eternity, Where you are One with God.
2. Your guilt preserves time for you by inducing in you fear of punishment from God in the future. This ensures that the separation, which seemed to begin in the past, will continue into the future because your fear will keep you from undoing the personal mind and approaching God. Guilt and fear are the personal mindís security and continuity. But God offers you True Continuity in Eternity. When you choose God you will exchange guilt for Joy, viciousness for Love, and pain for Peace. The Holy Spiritís Role is to unchain you from the personal mind. The personal mind will fight this in every way at every moment. You know this because you made the personal mind and you give it its power.
3. Remember your Oneness with God and remember that This cannot be undone. Your Christ Mind extends everywhere and you can let the Holy Spirit show you how to replace your perception of a world of separation with this awareness. The Holy Spirit and the personal mind simultaneously interpret you differently, though the personal mind always speaks first. You only need to be interpreted in the separation. In God you just are.
4. The personal mind judges and it is always wrong because its judgments are based on the error of perceiving separation that they are made to uphold. The Holy Spirit undoes the personal mindís judgments. The personal mind cites Scripture for its own ends and even interprets the Bible as a witness for itself. The Bible is a fearful thing in the personal mindís judgment and you donít ask the Holy Spirit to guide your interpretations of the Bible because you believe that It would judge against you.
5. There are many examples of how the personal mindís interpretations are misleading but here are a few examples of how the Holy Spirit can reinterpret the Bible:
6. ďAs ye sow, so shall ye reapĒ the Holy Spirit interprets to mean: You cultivate in yourself what you value. Your judgment of value is what gives something value to you.
7. ďVengeance is mine, sayeth the LordĒ means you should give the idea of vengeance to the Holy Spirit to undo for you because it is not natural to your Mind.
8. ďI will visit the sins of the fathers unto the third and fourth generationĒ is interpreted by the personal mind as a guarantee of its own survival. The Holy Spirit interprets this as meaning It can reinterpret for you what earlier generations misunderstood and therefore release you from fear.
9. ďThe wicked shall perishĒ is a statement of correction for the Holy Spirit who interprets ďperishĒ as ďbe undoneĒ. All thoughts that are not of God must be undone. The word ďundoneĒ is threatening to the personal mind which interprets it as ďdestroyedĒ. But the personal self will not be destroyed because it is an idea in your mind. It will be reinterpreted as unreal so that you can release yourself from fear. The part of your mind that you have given to the personal self will return to your Whole Mind in Oneness with God. You can delay this but you can never make separation and fear real.
10. You do not need to fear that the Holy Spirit will condemn you; It will only dismiss the idea of separation from your mind. Because you are One with God any belief in guilt in yourself is your belief that God is guilty. Bring all your guilt to the Holy Spirit to undo it. No matter how guilty you think you are the Holy Spirit knows it is not true. The Holy Spiritís Purpose is to remind you that you are One with God.
11. Where you look to find yourself is up to you: your Christ Mind or the personal mind. Be patient with yourself as you learn to let go of your illusion of separation from God. The Holy Spirit is Infinitely Patient as God is Infinitely Patient.
12. You must learn that Infinite Patience brings Peace now, exchanging time for Eternity. Infinite Patience comes from the Infinite Love of God, Which you need to learn. Time is a learning device that has no use for you when you no longer need to learn. The Holy Spirit knows that time is meaningless and this is what It reminds you of every moment as It leads you back to Eternity. The Holy Spirit is the only Blessing that you can truly give. You must extend the Holy Spirit in your awareness to know that you are the Holy Spirit.
7. The Decision for God
1. Do you really believe that you can make a mind that is separate from God and that has its own thought system? Do you really believe that you can plan for your security and happiness better than God can? You do not have to be careful or careless; you only need to give all your cares to the Holy Spirit, Which Loves you because you are One with God. All hope is yours because the Holy Spirit cares for you and you cannot escape this. You can choose to accept the Holy Spiritís care and to extend the Holy Spirit to all that your mind perceives.
2. In your perception of a world there are examples of many who have attempted to heal others without healing themselves. They did not overcome their perception of a world because they did not wholly trust that they could. While they could sometimes overcome sickness their lack of belief in their Christ Mind meant that their results were inconsistent. Unless you accept full healing of your mind you will believe that Godís Love is incomplete. You are asked to return your entire mind to God because Godís Mind is Whole. Your knowing this is what heals you. The part of your mind that you have given to separation is yours to give back to God.
3. Why do you listen to the personal mindís demands to protect it when you know that the Holy Spirit is within you? God asks only that you extend the Holy Spirit to your entire mind as the Holy Spirit was extended to you. God wants you in Perfect Peace because you are One with God. When you do not accept correction of your perception of separation from God it is because you identify with the personal self and you believe its defense of its own existence is your own defense. It means you do not want to be healed.
4. The time for your healing is now. You are not asked to figure out for yourself how to undo your perception of separation from God but to accept the Holy Spirit as the Correction. The Holy Spirit will make the undoing clear to you and It will tell you what you need to do. Godís Extension is incomplete as long as you believe that you are lost to God.
5. Whenever you are not completely Joyous it is because you have believed that the world is real. Perceiving this as ďsinĒ you feel guilty and you become defensive because you expect God to attack you. This is your own decision and you can undo it. You do not need to repent because you are not guilty. When you feel guilty you reinforce your belief that separation from God is real. Instead, you can let the Holy Spirit undo the separation for you.
6. Making a decision is not hard and you will realize this if you accept that you are not Joyous by your own decision. The first step in undoing this decision is accepting that you made a decision that you can undo. Be consciously aware of your own thinking and understand that the Holy Spirit provides the process of correction for your unhappy thinking. Your only part is to return to the thought where you made the error and to give it to the Holy Spirit to undo. Say this to yourself, understanding that the Holy Spirit will come to you when your invitation is sincere:
I am not at Peace so I mustíve decided against Peace.
I made this decision myself and I can change it.
I want to change it because I want to be at Peace.
I do not need to feel guilty because the Holy Spirit will correct my decision.I choose to let the Holy Spirit decide for God for me.
|Copyright 2009 Elizabeth A. Cronkhite|